Tuesday, September 14, 2010

We want cake! Where's our cake?


My house smells delicious right now! I came home from work determined to make a chocolate cake. I have made 1 cake from scratch before in my life. I was maybe 10, and it came out horribly. I was left with the impression that I could not make cake, let alone a chocolate, delicious cake. Well, I decided to turn that around today. I enlisted the boy to help me and we conquered the cake! We even made the frosting. Mess rating 2 bowls, mixer and the various measuring cups and spoons. The boys say the cake is good and the frosting is perfect. Final verdict, although it was a good cake, I probably won’t make it again. I want to find a better chocolate cake recipe. The frosting is a keeper!  And a little tip, I put the bowl we were mixing in the sink and let my boy use the hand mixer. The sink did a great job of containing the mess and was a breeze to clean once we were done. I was also a lot more relaxed about him using the mixer on his own. The recipe for the frosting is below. And yes, the cake was way too warm when I frosted it, but I never professed to being a patient lady.

Chocolate Frosting
1/2 c butter
2/3 c cocoa
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Melt butter. Mix in cocoa. Add powdered sugar and milk, alternating between the two. Beat to spreading consistency. Add a little extra milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Yields 2 cups frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment