Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pea Soup Andersen's Knock Off


So I have spent my day so far searching for a knock off of Pea Soup Andersen's soup. I have found many, many recipes. Some have chicken broth listed in the ingredients list, or even a ham bone, which I found funny since the original is vegetarian. The one below is the one that I think would come the closest to the original. I found several sites referencing the same recipe. And don't forget to serve with bread for dipping or you can really try to recreate the Andersen's experience and have toppings. If I remember correctly, they offer croutons, scallions, shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.

Andersen's Split Pea Soup

8 cups water
2 cups green split peas
1 rib celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp thyme
Dash red pepper sauce
1 bay leaf
Salt
Pepper

Combine water, peas, celery, carrot, onion, thyme, red pepper, and bay leaf in large pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Boil vigorously 20 minutes, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until split peas are tender. Press soup through fine sieve. Or you can remove the bay leaf and puree. Then reheat just to boiling point.

No comments:

Post a Comment