Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hot Chocolate


It was rainy today. I thought it might inspire me to make soup, but instead I was sidetracked by Hot Chocolate! I keep the packet, instant stuff on hand, but the best is making it from scratch. Every year, around the holidays, I end up making the following recipe several times. I like to top it with whip cream and festive sprinkles. Or add in a shot of Irish Cream and make it a grown up hot chocolate.

Hot Chocolate
½  cup sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
dash salt
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar, cocoa and salt in 6-quart saucepan; gradually add water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk. Heat to serving temperature, stirring frequently. Do not boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment