Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Egg Salad (Yummy Yummy)


Tonight's dinner was super easy and everyone loved it. Egg salad, yummy yummy. No real recipe, just boil eggs, cool and peel. Smash in a bowl, add mayo and mustard. Some people like to do salt and pepper. We like paprika, a little in the mix and the grown ups add more later. I also like to add fresh onions to mine, while my kiddo likes using baby carrots to dip and scoop with.

I also found that there are a lot of ways to boil eggs. Who knew? I have always just boiled them my way, which turns out is wrong. I used to just put in the eggs and then bring to a boil and then boil for 10 minutes. Not how it is done! Not even ONE of the ways it is done. Not even CLOSE! Well, close as in you put eggs in water, but beyond that, NO. Some methods want the eggs left out to come to room temperature (approx 15 minutes). All methods bring the water to a boil, with a division between those that salt the water and those that don't. Some use the lid on, others off. After the water boils, the options are endless. Boil for 1 minute or 3. Remove from heat, leave on heat, or reduce heat and simmer for 7, 10 or even 15 minutes. After spending too much time on this, considering my current method does what I needs it to, I decided on a mixture of several different methods.

I placed eggs from the fridge into water. The water level was about an inch over the eggs. I did not salt the water, but I did use a lid. I brought it to a boil, and let it boil for 3 minutes. I then reduced it to a simmer for 10 minutes. I immediately drained the water and filled the pan with cold water. I do this because I am impatient and want the eggs to cool quickly. And guess what? I got hard boiled eggs! *cheer*

And did I mention that all of this was for hard boiled eggs? There is of course research to do for soft boiled...

1 comment:

  1. I salt the water because if an egg cracks, salt will help stop the egg from escaping the shell.

    ReplyDelete