Monday, November 8, 2010

Thai Iced Tea


I find that I go through phases with beverages. I will become slightly obsessed with some tasty concoction and try to consume it daily. The current obsession is Thai Iced Tea. Now, I have to admit that it's not what comes to mind for November, but the heart stomach wants what the heart stomach wants. Besides! It's orange, very autumny? autumnal? fallish? autumnmonopoly? Yeah...moving on! Sadly, I have not yet found the ultimate recipe and I have been relying on the "within walking distance of work Thai place" to get my fix tea. I have tried to have sweetened black tea with condensed milk at home, but it's not the same. I think that the tea actually make a big difference. Look for something like this tea. Also, you might consider this, which is a Thai tea filter. My next recipe to try is the Emeril recipe over on Foodnetwork. It says it serves 6, but I like having 2 glasses for myself, just saying. I also might double the milk/cream part, since it seems like not quite enough. But I guess we shall see.


Ingredients
6 cups water
1 cup Thai tea
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons cream
6 tablespoons condensed milk

Directions
In a kettle, bring the water to a boil. Place the tea in a teapot or glass container. Pour the water over the tea and let steep until bright orange in color, 3 to 5 minutes. Strain into a clean container, such as a pitcher (or, if in tea bags, remove the bags). Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Fill 6 tall glasses with crushed ice and add tea to 3/4 full. Add 1 tablespoon cream and 1 tablespoon condensed milk to each glass.

Serve with iced-tea spoon so guests can swirl the mixture themselves. And don't worry, it's part of having the drink is mixing it yourself, sorta like a Caramel Macchiato.

1 comment: